New York City
Position Status / Start Date
Full time / Immediate
About Code Nation
Code Nation is a community of high school students, technologists, teachers, business leaders, and other champions. A movement spanning cities, cultures, and industries, our community builds bridges across social and economic divides and unites people with the power to change each others’ lives.
Code Nation equips students with the skills, experiences, and connections that together create access to careers in technology. With a volunteer teaching cohort of over 300 professional web and software developers and a network of school and company partners, we provide coding courses and work-based learning programs to students who attend under-resourced high schools. Our industry-aligned curriculum and vast network of supporters provide students with the tech skills and social capital they need to break into the tech workforce.
During the 2019-2020 school year, Code Nation pivoted to reach 1,630 students in 72 programs across the Bay Area, Chicago, and New York City, 100% virtually. Software developers collectively volunteered more than 45,000 hours to provide in-person and remote learning in support of Code Nation’s mission in the San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, and New York City.
Code Nation is committed to being an inclusive, pro-Black, and anti-racist organization. Ideal candidates are committed to educational and tech equity and working against institutional inequities. We believe that anyone can learn to code, and everyone should have access to careers in the thriving tech workforce.
The Program Director will work with the Managing Director to oversee the success of Code Nation’s New York region. In this role, the Program Director will help to oversee our dynamic Programs team and support in managing relationships with Code Nation’s school and corporate partners. The Program Director will coach and manage direct reports, develop strategy with the National Program Leadership Team, analyze local data, and support the growth of the NYC region in both reach and impact.
The salary range for this position is $90,000- $100,000.
Team Management & Development
- Lead a team of 9 program staff who are responsible for delivering Code Nation’s program
- In partnership with you, we are excited to engage in further visioning and restructuring of programs to potentially include the addition of an Associate Director who will assume direct management responsibilities of 4-5 program managers.
- Lead check-in meetings with staff to evaluate and respond to program performance measures, foster professional development, and set personalized goals.
- Manage large multi-stage projects by identifying and communicating goals, key performance indicators, and staff responsibilities.
- Recruit, hire, and oversee the orientation of program staff. Lead program staff performance evaluations and implement performance improvement plans as needed. Manage program staff transitions and offboardings.
- Oversee and approve program site budgets, staff reimbursements, and PTO requests.
Ensure Programmatic Excellence
- Develop and maintain a culture of programmatic excellence rooted in collaboration, peer feedback, and data-driven decision making; ensure alignment across all tiers of programming and effective communication within the program department.
- Oversee student data collection and ensure data integrity with support from program staff; analyze and make strategic programmatic decisions based on student and volunteer data.
- Conduct regular site visits to evaluate program quality, ensure fidelity, and provide coaching to program staff.
- Contribute expertise as an instructional leader to volunteer training, curriculum development, learning and teaching tool implementation, and the ongoing development of program staff content knowledge.
- Collaborate with the New York Managing Director to support development, strategic planning, and management across multiple departments.
- Practice and foster a culture of philanthropy within the programs team
- Foster effective communication and collaboration between the programs department and all other departments.
- Plan and implement regional initiatives to support programmatic success.
- Participate in the budget development process and maintain a high level of fiscal responsibility within the programs department.
- Be the expert on the region’s computer science education trends and initiatives.
School, District, and Workplace Partnerships & Operations
- Establish relationships with school and district staff, principals, and other representatives to ensure that Code Nation’s school portfolio and prospective school list is robust and mission aligned.
- Collaborate with the Partnerships Team and New York Managing Director to ensure company partners are satisfied with their Code Nation experience and are meeting our expectations in what they provide to our students.
Skills and Qualifications
Success in this position will require, but not be limited to, the following proven experiences and competencies:
- What you’ve accomplished (required):
- Seven years of work experience
- Experience working in schools, youth development programs, or similar
- Two or more years of experience managing full time staff
- Skills you have developed and knowledge you have acquired:
- Management experience with demonstrated success in managing, coaching, developing and retaining staff
- Experience leading in ways that are inclusive, pro-Black, and anti-racist
- Ability to make data-driven decisions and cultivating a data-driven, results-oriented team culture
- Demonstrated success managing complex, multifaceted projects
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to represent the organization externally to a wide range of stakeholders from tech CEOs to students’ families
- Relationship building skills necessary to quickly build and maintain relationships with youth facing organizations, paving a path to future partnerships
- Proficient in Google Suite
- Skills you may have developed or would be excited to learn:
- Skills required for successful classroom teaching and instructional coaching experience with diverse audiences and in under resourced schools
- Proficiency in Salesforce
- How you work and what you value:
- Deep commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Self starter and entrepreneurial
- Enjoys working on a team and operates in a way that will build trust with teammates
- Driven towards measurable results
- Knowledge of and/or interest in computer science, technology, and/or collegiate education preferred
- Excited to travel frequently to Code Nation program sites
What You Can Expect
Code Nation has a high-performing culture characterized by our desire to provide our staff members with the support, resources, and information they need to be successful in our organization and in the non-profit field in general. If you take on this position, you can expect to be offered a compensation package, including salary and benefits, that will be commensurate with your experience and competitive within the non-profit sector. Some of the benefits we offer to our staff members include, but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance and a Flex spending account for out of pocket medical costs
- Generous Time Off policy-15 days of paid time off & 14 paid holidays/office closures
- 401k Retirement Plan
Code Nation employees must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, and, if hired, present proof of vaccination by start date.
Code Nation is partnering with RCG Talent Solutions to find our next Director of Programs. Please follow this link to submit your application and direct all questions to Miranda Cortez (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Code Nation strives to build a staff and board that reflect the cultural diversity of the communities and neighborhoods we serve. Code Nation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin. BIPOC individuals are encouraged to apply.