New York City, Chicago, or the Bay Area
About Code Nation
Code Nation brings together a community of students, technologists, teachers, business leaders, and other champions. A movement spanning cities, cultures, and industries, our community builds bridges across social and economic divides and unites people with the power to change each others’ lives.
Code Nation equips students with the skills, experiences, and connections that together create access to careers in technology. With a volunteer teaching cohort of professional web and software developers and a network of school and company partners, we provide coding courses and work-based learning programs to students who attend under-resourced high schools. Our industry-aligned curriculum and vast network of supporters provide students with the tech skills and social capital they need to break into the tech workforce. During the 2020-21 school year, Code Nation reached over 1,300 students in more than 80 classrooms across the San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, and New York City. There were nearly 350 software developers who volunteered their time to work with our students in support of Code Nation’s mission. Due to the pandemic, for the first time ever we did all of our programs 100% virtually.
Code Nation is committed to being an inclusive, pro-Black, and anti-racist organization. Ideal candidates are committed to educational and tech equity and working against institutional inequities. We believe that anyone can learn to code, and everyone should have access to careers in the thriving tech workforce. Code Nation provides coding courses, workplace experiences, and industry mentorship with a focus on equity and representation for thousands of students every year across all three of our regions.
Who We Want
We are looking for a Development Associate who will coordinate and support the execution of development strategies and plans, ensuring that external-facing development staff know when they need to take action and are prepared to execute in order to achieve our funding and relationship goals. The ideal candidate enjoys setting others up for success, is systems and process oriented in their approach, and has exceptional attention to detail. We are looking for someone who is proactive, resourceful, adaptive and works effectively in a team-oriented environment. The Development Associate will report to the Director of Development.
- Support Code Nation staff (including regional Managing Directors, Corporate Partnerships staff, Development Director and the CEO) to effectively build funding relationships by preparing meeting briefs and materials, drafting correspondence, capturing meeting downloads, tracking meeting follow-up and more
- Ensure our database and internal records are accurate and up-to-date with key information about donors, prospects, donations, interactions and correspondence
- Research donors and prospects to help determine funding we will pursue as well as inform fundraising strategy and engagement tactics
- Process donations including writing and sending donor tax acknowledgements and thank you correspondence
- Process grant awards including tracking requirements and deadlines for reports and future proposals
- Provide logistics and operational support for fundraising events
- Plan and execute mass donor communications such as sending out our annual report or holiday cards
- Partner with other members of the development team to create or improve key development systems and processes that increase efficiency and effectiveness as needed
- Collaborate with the finance department to support audit record keeping
- Other responsibilities and projects as determined by organizational need
Who You Are
- 1 year or more of nonprofit fundraising experience highly preferred
- Enjoys supporting the work of others and managing back-end operations
- Skilled at managing up actions and information for senior leaders to act on
- Highly organized with demonstrated success managing many tasks, projects and requests at once
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong written communication skills
- Proactive, resourceful and adaptive
- Thrives in a collaborative working environment
- Deep commitment to Code Nation’s mission and values
- Proficiency with Google Suite and familiarity with Salesforce a plus
- Flexibility to work extended hours on rare occasions
What You Can Expect
Code Nation has a high-performing culture characterized by our desire to provide our staff members with the support, resources, and information they need to be successful in our organization and in the non-profit field in general. If you take on this position, you can expect to be offered a compensation package, including salary and benefits, that will be commensurate with your experience and competitive within the non-profit sector. Some of the benefits we offer to our staff members include, but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance and a Flex spending account for out of pocket medical costs
- Generous Time Off policy-15 days of paid time off & 14 paid holidays/office closures
- 401k Retirement Plan
- Salary range for this position is $50,000 – $65,000 annually
How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Development Associate”. All qualified applicants will be considered, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Code Nation strives to build a staff and board that reflect the cultural diversity of the communities and neighborhoods we serve. Code Nation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin. BIPOC individuals are encouraged to apply.