About Code Nation
Code Nation brings together a community of students, technologists, teachers, business leaders, and other champions. A movement spanning cities, cultures, and industries, our community builds bridges across social and economic divides and unites people with the power to change each others’ lives.
Code Nation equips students with the skills, experiences, and connections that together create access to careers in technology. With a volunteer teaching cohort of over 300 professional web and software developers and a network of school and company partners, we provide coding courses and work-based learning programs to students who attend under-resourced high schools. Our industry-aligned curriculum and vast network of supporters provide students with the tech skills and social capital they need to break into the tech workforce.
During the 2019-2020 school year, Code Nation pivoted to reach 1,630 students in 72 programs across the Bay Area, Chicago, and New York City, 100% virtually. Software developers collectively volunteered more than 45,000 hours to provide in-person and remote learning in support of Code Nation’s mission in the San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, and New York City.
Code Nation strives to be an inclusive, pro-Black, and anti-racist organization. Ideal candidates are committed to educational and tech equity and working against institutional inequities. We believe that anyone can learn to code, and everyone should have access to careers in the thriving tech workforce. Code Nation will provide coding courses, workplace experiences, and industry mentorship with a focus on equity and representation for 1,200 students across New York City, Chicago, and the Bay Area by Summer 2021.
Code Nation is currently working as a remote team, and will continue to function as one through August 15. We will be re-evaluating this policy as guidance in response to the ongoing pandemic changes. All roles, including the Program Manager position, will adhere to whatever policy is established.
Who We Want
We are looking for passionate, creative leaders who are inspired by our mission and ready to work to support young people. The ideal candidate is self-motivated, resourceful, and works effectively in a team-oriented environment. Code Nation strives to be an inclusive, pro-Black, and anti-racist organization; ideal candidates are committed to educational and tech equity and working against institutional inequities.
- Manage and ensure success of the program at 4-5 high school sites. Coordinate and train teams of volunteers as they teach the Code Nation curriculum. Provide instructional coaching and support with the implementation of effective teaching strategies. Ensure student and volunteer satisfaction and retention.
- Act as a liaison between Code Nation and partner schools. Keep abreast of school schedules and keep volunteer teams informed of changes. Communicate with school partners about the success of the program and any concerns.
- Coordinate logistics for Code Nation classes, field trips, and special events.
- Collect and manage student and program data. Manage student attendance, participation, and mastery of data. Track and analyze all data using Salesforce. Prepare reports and keep all stakeholders informed on progress.
- Recruit, train, and on-board new volunteer teachers. Attend Meetups and city-wide events to represent Code Nation and recruit new volunteers. Conduct volunteer training and support volunteers through the onboarding process.
- Support Code Nation’s summer opportunities. Support planning, coordinate logistics, and manage student experience during Code Nation’s summer programming.
- Provide additional project support, as needed.
Who You Are
- Two+ years of classroom teaching and/or youth development experience in under-resourced schools
- Experience working with diverse groups
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills
- Strong organizational skills with demonstrated success managing many projects at once
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Self-motivated, flexible, and entrepreneurial
- Thrives in a collaborative working environment
- Proficiency with Google Suite
- Flexibility to work extended hours on rare occasions
What You Can Expect
Code Nation has a high-performing culture characterized by our desire to provide our staff members with the support, resources, and information they need to be successful in our organization and in the non-profit field in general. If you take on this position, you can expect to be offered a compensation package, including salary and benefits, that will be commensurate with your experience and competitive within the non-profit sector. Some of the benefits we offer to our staff members include, but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance and a Flex spending account for out of pocket medical costs
- Generous Time Off policy-15 days of paid time off & 14 paid holidays/office closures
- 401k Retirement Plan
- Salary range for this position is $62,000 to $67,000 annually
How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line, “Program Manager – Bay Area”. All qualified applicants will be considered, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Code Nation strives to build a staff and board that reflect the cultural diversity of the communities and neighborhoods we serve. Code Nation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin. BIPOC individuals are encouraged to apply.