New York City
Position Status / Start Date
Full time / August 2022
About Code Nation
Code Nation is a community of high school students, technologists, teachers, business leaders, and other champions. A movement spanning cities, cultures, and industries, our community builds bridges across social and economic divides and unites people with the power to change each others’ lives.
Code Nation equips students with the skills, experiences, and connections that together create access to careers in technology. With a volunteer teaching cohort of over 300 professional web and software developers and a network of school and company partners, we provide coding courses and work-based learning programs to students who attend under-resourced high schools. Our industry-aligned curriculum and vast network of supporters provide students with the tech skills and social capital they need to break into the tech workforce.
During the 2019-2020 school year, Code Nation pivoted to reach 1,630 students in 72 programs across the Bay Area, Chicago, and New York City, 100% virtually. Software developers collectively volunteered more than 45,000 hours to provide in-person and remote learning in support of Code Nation’s mission in the San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, and New York City.
Code Nation is committed to being an inclusive, pro-Black, and anti-racist organization. Ideal candidates are committed to educational and tech equity and working against institutional inequities. We believe that anyone can learn to code, and everyone should have access to careers in the thriving tech workforce.
Code Nation is looking for passionate, creative leaders who are inspired by our mission and committed to supporting our young people. The Program Manager will work closely with the New York City Director of Program and our partnered schools to implement and manage a successful program for our high school students. The Program Manager will be responsible for tracking student data, supporting program staff and volunteers, and coordinating events.
Due to the pandemic, and for the first time ever, we ran all of our programs 100% virtually. For SY22-23, we intend to return to in-person programming as soon as it’s safe to do so, informed by local health guidelines. Our team primarily works from home and comes together twice a month for full team meetings. These meetings are currently being virtually and will likely return to in-person in January.
The salary range for this position is $64,000 to $67,000.
- Manage and ensure success of the program at 4-5 high school sites. Coordinate and train teams of volunteers as they teach the Code Nation curriculum. Provide instructional coaching and support with the implementation of effective teaching strategies. Ensure student and volunteer satisfaction and retention.
- Act as a liaison between Code Nation and partner schools. Keep abreast of school schedules and keep volunteer teams informed of changes. Communicate with school partners about the success of the program and any concerns.
- Coordinate logistics for Code Nation classes, field trips, and special events.
- Collect and manage student and program data. Manage student attendance, participation, and mastery of data. Track and analyze all data using Salesforce. Prepare reports and keep all stakeholders informed on progress.
- Conduct volunteer training and support volunteers through the onboarding process.
- Support Code Nation’s summer opportunities. Support planning, coordinate logistics, and manage student experience during Code Nation’s summer programming.
- Lead a specialized workstream outside to support programmatic success across the region, such as volunteer community building, data management, curriculum development, or alumni engagement.
Skills and Qualifications
Success in this position will require, but not be limited to, the following proven experiences and competencies:
What you’ve accomplished (required):
- 2+ years of classroom teaching and/or youth development experience in under-resourced schools
Skills you have developed and knowledge you have acquired:
- Ability to manage and leverage relationships across multiple stakeholder groups
- Strong organizational skills and an exceptional attention to detail with demonstrated success managing multiple projects at once
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to effectively collaborate across multiple teams
- Proficiency with Google Suite
How you work and what you value:
- Deep commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Self-motivated, flexible, and entrepreneurial
- Thrives in a collaborative working environment
- Knowledge of and/or interest in computer science, technology, and/or collegiate education preferred; While our ideal candidate has experience in one or more of the aforementioned areas, we are open to someone who is eager to learn through this role.
What You Can Expect
Code Nation has a collaborative culture characterized by our desire to provide our staff members with the support, resources, and information they need to be successful in our organization and in the nonprofit field in general. If you take on this position, you can expect to be offered a compensation package that is competitive within the nonprofit sector. Some of the benefits we offer include, but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance and a Flex spending account for out of pocket medical costs
- Generous Time Off policy-15 days of paid time off & 14 paid holidays/office closures
- 401k Retirement Plan
Code Nation employees must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, and, if hired, present proof of vaccination by start date.
How to Apply
Code Nation is partnering with RCG Talent Solutions to find our next Program Manager. Please follow this link to submit your application and direct all questions to email@example.com.
Code Nation strives to build a staff and board that reflect the cultural diversity of the communities and neighborhoods we serve. Code Nation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin. BIPOC individuals are encouraged to apply.